Railroad systems are increasingly required to operate in common corridors with power transmission and distribution lines, presenting new equipment protection challenges. Damaging AC faults caused by failure of power utility equipment on overhead power lines present high-energy, long-duration events that typical lightning surge protective devices are not capable of withstanding. These events pose a risk to track-connected signaling and crossing warning systems as well as other protective equipment.
To address these concerns, Dairyland Electrical Industries is pleased to introduce Overwatch HEFPD, a new class of product in the railroad industry. Designed using Dairyland’s decades of experience in high-energy applications, Overwatch HEFPD uses proven solid-state technology that can withstand the powerful, long-duration events caused by AC faults to keep your sensitive track-connected equipment protected.
Benefits of Overwatch HEFPD
- Provides protection from both high-energy AC faults and lightning surges
- Designed and tested to meet AREMA Manual Part 11.3.7, as well as the applicable requirements of primary surge protection as defined in AREMA 11.3.1
- Built to withstand multiple AC fault or lightning surge events without failure
- Dairyland’s proven solid-state design prevents sparks and arcing
- Extensive third-party testing/verification
About Dairyland Electrical Industries
Over a range of industries and applications, Dairyland has been applying the concepts of isolation, grounding, and over-voltage protection to standard and custom products since 1983. Dairyland deals with a wide variety of applications across multiple industries including oil and gas, power utility, railroad, and others where it is necessary to provide simultaneous isolation and safety grounding. Dairyland products isolate DC current, ground AC fault current and lightning, and protect equipment and personnel.